TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - The name "subframe spacer" is deceiving since they don't
People Seeking Info

Subject The name "subframe spacer" is deceiving since they don't

Posted by flashstar on June 27, 2015 at 12:44 AM
  This message has been viewed 430 times.

In Reply To Also, do they make for a noticeably more noisy ride? posted by OverZealous (CT) on June 26, 2015 at 07:24 PM

Message space anything. If you hold a mirror up to both sides of your oem subframe bushings, you'll notice that the end gaps are built into the bushing design. The gaps are designed to permit the subframe to "float" up and down. The spacers reduce or eliminate these gaps.

I drove my Z for years with and without the subframe spacers. I didn't notice an unusually large amount of noise. That doesn't mean it won't bother you though. To put it in perspective, 2 separate non oem cat-backs were so loud that I couldn't hear anything else. Noise derived from subframe spacer use doesn't come close.

Do you see any bushing "goo" leaking from the subframe bushings? If not, you old (and hard) oem bushings may be stiffer than new!

I'm not sure performance improved from my spacers. I'm sure the ride was a bit stiffer though. I cut out my old bushings with a hack saw, then had Aliaz weld up the notches and press in Whiteline bushings. He's a wizard with the welder. The new Whitelines maintain some float and increase stiffness.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.